Extension Food Scientist
Center of Excellence for Poultry Science
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
- Ph.D., Food Technology, Iowa State University
- M.S., Food Technology, Iowa State University
- B.S., Food Technology and Science, University of Tennessee
- Production management and quality assurance for Swift & Co. and Jerome Foods, 1975 - 1981
- Director of Quality Control, Portion-Trol Foods (manufacturing division of Denny's Restaurants)
- Assistant Professor and Extension Food Scientist, Poultry Products, Food Science Department, Virginia Tech, 1988 - 1993
- Extension Specialist III and Professor, Center of Excellence for Poultry Science, 1993 - present
- Fellow, Institute of Food Technologists, 2009
- GMPs, SOPs and HACCP for the Meat and Poultry Industry
- Principles and Applications of Cleaning and Sanitation Programs
- Culinary Arts Fundamentals for Food Technologists
- Advanced Culinary Arts for Food Technologists
- Baking Arts Fundamentals for Food Technologists
- Food Science Workshops for Chefs
- Statistical Process Control - Online MS AFLS
- Poultry and meat safety, processing and product quality factors
• Represents the Center of Excellence as co-sponsor of the Arkansas Poultry Processors Workshop
• Offers HACCP and Advanced HACCP training and sanitation for processing personnel as well as conducting the HACCP Roundtable that provides for open dialogue between FSIS Springdale District management and HACCP personnel from the poultry and meat industry.
• Prepared the first HACCP training manual for the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association and has hosted the NRA Quality Assurance Executive Study Group twice at the Center of Excellence.
• A founding member of the Retail Food Safety Consortium and will serve on his 7th Conference for Food Protection in 2010.
• An integral part of the UA online MS in Food Safety, advising industry personnel and graduate students and teaching Statistical Process Control for that program.
• Since 2005, has conducted culinology classes for Tyson Foods, Simmons Foods and for the Research Chefs Association to enable product developers to earn recognition as a Certified Culinary Scientist.