Robert F. Wideman, Jr.
Associate Director of the Center and Physiologist
Center of Excellence for Poultry Science
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
- Ph.D., Regulatory Biology (Physiology), University of Connecticut
- M.S., Regulatory Biology (Physiology), University of Connecticut
- B.S., Biology, University of Delaware
- Post-doctoral research, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona College of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Poultry Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1981
- Professor of Poultry Science, Penn State University
- Arkansas Poultry Federation Chair, University of Arkansas, 1993
- Distinguished Professor of Poultry Science, Center of Excellence for Poultry Science
- Associate Director, Center of Excellence for Poultry Science, 2003
- The physiological and genetic limitations associated with broiler susceptibility to ascites
- Avian kidney anatomy and physiology
- kidney dysfunction in poutry (urolithiasis, diuresis)
- Renal regulation of calcium and phosphorus metabolism
- Cardio-pulmonary physiology as related to ascites (pulmonary hypertension syndrome) in broilers
- Wideman, R.F. Renal regulation of avian calcium and phosphorus metabolism. J. Nutrition 117:808-815, 1987.
- Wideman, R.F. Kidney Anatomy and Physiology. In: CRC Critical Reviews in Poultry Biology. Ed. R. R. Dietert. CRC Press, Volume 1 (2):133-176, 1988
- Wideman, R.F., and Satnick, J.L. Physiological evaluation of diuresis in commercial broiler breeders. British Poultry Sci. 30: 313-326, 1989.
- Wideman, R.F. Maturation of glomerular size distribution profiles in domestic fowl (Gallus gallus domesticus). J. Morphol. 201: 205-213, 1989.
- Wideman, R.F., and Lent, A.L. Producer's field guide to kidney damage. Egg Industry 97(#1):24-30, 1991.
- Lent, A., and Wideman, R.F. Susceptibility of two commercial Single Comb White Leghorn strains to calcium-induced urolithiasis: efficacy of dietary supplementation with D-L methionine and ammonium sulfate. British Poultry Sci. 34:577-587, 1993.
- Lent, A.J., and Wideman, R.F. Hypercalciuric response to dietary supplementation with dl-methionine and ammonium sulfate. Poultry Sci. 73:63-74, 1994.
- Wideman, R.F., Kirby, Y.K., Barton, T.L., Clark, D., Bayarri, GR., and Huff, W.E., Moore, P.A., and Dunn, P.A. Excess dietary copper triggers enlargement of the proventriculus in broilers. J. Appl. Poultry Res. 5:219-230, 1996.
- Roush, W.B., and Wideman, R.F. Evaluation of growth velocity and acceleration in relation to pulmonary hypertension syndrome (PHS). Poultry Sci. 79:180-191, 2000.
- Wideman, R.F., and French, H.Ascites resistance of progeny from broiler breeders selected for two generations using chronic unilateral pulmonary artery occlusion. Poultry Sci. 79:396-401, 2000.
- Wideman, R.F. Cardio-Pulmonary Hemodynamics and Ascites in Broiler Chickens. In: Poultry and Avian Biology Reviews. Ed. R.R. Dietert and M. A. Ottinger. Volume 11(1):21-43, 2000.
- Wideman, R.F. Pathophysiology of Heart/Lung Disorders: Pulmonary Hypertension Syndrome in Broiler Chickens. World's Poultry Science Journal (in press), 2001.